Following a Pedestrian Accident, You Need an Attorney Who Will Fight For Fair Compensation
Since 1999, the Law Office of Javier Martinez, Jr., P.C. has assisted residents in El Paso who have been injured as a result of a pedestrian accident. As a personal injury attorney, Mr. Martinez works one-on-one with victims to seek an adequate compensation for damage that was caused directly by the accident. Many victims do not realize how their health is affected until they begin to experience complications and require medical attention.
Our role is to fight your case until a satisfactory agreement has been made. The complications involved in personal injury cases often take years to settle, but we will work to resolve the case in a timely matter.
Key Facts Regarding Pedestrian Accidents in the U.S.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), the U.S. sees approximately 5,000 pedestrian deaths per year.
- Children between the ages of 5 and 9 are at the highest risk of being hit by a vehicle.
- Along with small children, the elderly are also more at risk of being involved in a pedestrian accident.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), alcohol contributes to nearly half of pedestrian accidents that result in death.
Types of Accidents Involving Pedestrians
The majority of accidents take place in areas where drivers have limited visibility of pedestrians and vice-versa. It’s important to highlight the common types of accidents that involve pedestrians as a way of pointing out precaution.
The most common accidents involving pedestrians include:
- A driver going in reverse. This usually takes place in parking lots or busy streets where drivers have limited visibility of people on foot. Drivers should always look twice and check their blind spots before reversing.
- Children playing outdoors. Unfortunately, these accidents tend to happen extremely fast. Children are playing in a neighborhood and run into the street as a car is heading their way. Given that most cars are speeding, even upon hitting their breaks they’re unable to stop within enough time and distance. Drivers should always follow speed limits and look twice for small children.
- Neglecting crosswalk or “walk” signs. There are instances when pedestrians are walking along a crosswalk and vehicles turn without seeing the individual in the street. Typically these accidents happen at night. With low visibility, it becomes crucial that drivers watch out for pedestrians and have their headlights on. For pedestrians, it’s important that they always use crosswalks and never cross without looking in both directions.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Physical injuries include:
- Cuts, scrapes, or bruises
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Dislocated joints
- Head injuries including concussions
- Nerve damage
- Herniated disc
Psychological injuries include:
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Chronic pain
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
No two accidents are alike. Our law firm understands that every situation requires its own form of action. While the causes that lead to a pedestrian accident vary, there are parallels in how they take place.
Reasons for pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to see pedestrians in a crosswalk
- Disregarding the walk signal at an intersection
- Pedestrians failing to use a crosswalk, especially at night
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Using cell phone
- Speeding in a parking lot
What to Do If You’ve Been Involved in an Accident
- 1. Contact the police. Inform them of anyone who may be injured and only provide facts.
- 2. Gather details of the scene including objects nearby, the weather, time of day, and other factual information.
- 3.Collect witness names, their phone numbers, and insurance information.
- 4. Do not make statements to anyone. Often times even an apology can be interpreted as admitting guilt when it’s not the case.
- 5. Contact a personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney will be able to provide you with quick directions as to what actions are necessary in order to file a claim.
Recover Damages From Your Accident With an Experienced Legal Team
If you or someone you know has been injured in a pedestrian accident, please contact us today. At the Law Office of Javier Martinez, Jr., P.C., we understand that the issues surrounding your accident can feel hopeless or complicated. Our team will provide you with the support and guidance you need to overcome this circumstance. With more than twenty years of experience, Mr. Martinez has the skills, knowledge, resources, and passion necessary to win your case.